To stay on the snacky trend of yesterday, here is a great and versatile recipe for a healthy alternative to reaching for yucky msg-ified doritos or greasy potato chips when the snack monster attacks. You can literally make these in so many different ways that will satisfy the most ruthless snack attack if you want something sweet or salty or spicy or whatever you feel like.
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 4 cups whole raw almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1/3 cup brown sugar + 2 tsp cinnamon + dash of nutmeg + 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper + 2 teaspoons salt
- A packed 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil + 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese + 1 Tbls garlic salt
- Be creative! Make your own! And share the joy if you create something the rest of us didn't even know we couldn't live without.
Preheat oven to 250* and lightly grease a large flat 1-inch pan/cooking sheet, or any cooking sheet that has a bit of an edge.
Beat the egg white lightly with a fork, add the cooled melted butter and beat till frothy but not whipped stiff.
Add the almonds and mix till evenly coated.
Mix whatever flavoring mixture you wish to try together in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the nuts and toss to coat.
Spread evenly on the baking pan one layer deep (if they are on top of each other, they won't get nice and crispy, and they may stick together), and bake for 1 hour or until golden and the coating is mostly dry. Stir occasionally (every 15-20 minutes or so?).
Cool on parchment paper; you can cool it in the pan, but make sure you also stir occasionally during the cooling process, or they will all stick pretty bad to the pan (especially the sugary kinds). And so you're not afraid that you didn't cook them enough, they won't taste completely crispy until they are completely cooled.
Eat and be healthy, both body and soul!