5.05.2011

Brownsies

I found this recipe when I was looking for something light and relatively healthy to bake. I have to admit that until this point, I had never actually made brownies before. Crazy, I know. I guess I could just never fully justify it; there is absolutely nothing redeemable in most brownie recipes. So when I found this recipe that used applesauce and only a 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup butter, I figured I should probably try it. Just for moral reasons. 
The result was a definitely more cake-like and much lighter than most typical heavy chewy brownies. Thus, the name "Brownsies." For me, I actually preferred them this way. But don't take my word for it...

Ingredients: 
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (wheat if you want to be good) flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Make:
Preheat oven to 350*. Grease and flour a 8-inch pan. 
Brown the butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add sugar and all the wet ingredients; mix well. Mix the dry ingredients together, then add to wet mixture and mix well. 
Pour into pan and bake for 20 minutes. 



To make a simple frosting, combine 3 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Spread while brownsies are still warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors